Apple M2 MacBook Pro-14” vs 16”
- All right let’s talk about Apple M2 Pro and M2 Max Hardware over the past few days I’ve been checking out some of their new devices and if you compare them to the M1 equivalents some undeniable performance uplifts mostly in the GPU Department there are like the most significant gains but one thing that I noticed that was quite interesting is that the 14 inches and the 16 inches are pretty different in performances here like the Gap is a lot more noticeable this year than it was last year.
- So let’s get into it M2 Pro and M2 max if you compare them to M1 prone Max M2 has a couple more CPU cores and there are options for more GPU cores you can now cap it at 38 GPU cores instead of 32 there are options for more
- RAM or the ability to hold more RAM so up to 96 gigs now can go into the 16-inch model it’s got Wi-Fi 6E support it has a claimed longer battery life there was one thing I noticed on the product website the 16-inch model this year is supposed to be a little bit heavier by like I don’t know 100 grams or so than last year’s 16-inch model but when I compared them on a scale they were almost identical so if there’s any difference in weight it’s seemingly insignificant
- so this year there’s no Innovative major feature it is focused on the new chips so these are better in single and multi-core TP performance if you compare them to the M1 stuff but for most workflows, it’s not going to be some game-changing leap compared to what the high-end M1 chips were already offering us before however if you take a look at the energy consumption there is some interesting stuff going on at full CPU load the M2 Max chip needs to consume more power than the M1 Max chip it’s about like a 5-watt difference in terms of package consumption but that can add up now these systems can easily handle that bump in wattage the 14 inches and the 16 inches like you could run cine bench full blast for like eight days and it wouldn’t see any decline in performance
- now when it comes to the GPU of M2 Pro and M2 Max this has even bigger gains it’s very impressive when you look at some benchmarks but the real world gains you get from these gpus are going to vary from app to app it depends on how the developer has utilized that technology so some apps will get massive gains other apps less so now if you take a look at energy consumption here at the top end this gpus can push about 50 Watts which is again like I don’t know six maybe seven Watts more than what the M1 mask could do last year so if you have a full GP load and you combine it with the full CPU load that’s when the 14-inch model has a tougher time and there’s the gap between what the 16-inch model can do versus the 14-inch model is much more pronounced this year compared to what the M1 devices did last year and I think it’s just because it’s a bigger die these things pull more wattage and they give you better performance but because these chassis haven’t changed in shape or size the 16-inch with its bigger fans and just more space in there is going to have more thermal Headroom okay a quick note about battery life so the battery life is still one of the most impressive things that I find about
- Apple silicon it’s so crazy what they’s able to do even with the high-end chips so there is a noticeable Improvement in battery life when it comes to running light tasks but when it came to heavier loads there was no real difference compared to the M1 Pro and M1 Max devices but the M2 devices this year they are pretty obvious spec bump uh again not like a major Innovative change like it does feel like apple looked at this product line this year it’s like it’s it’s an Eco round right maybe the upcoming recession maybe because their development cycle they didn’t want to blow too much on this year’s kind of changes uh but if you’re looking for GPU upgrade it’s there I think if you’re coming from older Intel Hardware this is a it’s a solid year to pick something up but if you want something less expensive than like brand new M2 options the M1 Pro and M1 Max options like the refurb store that’s a solid thing to hit up now uh I’ll be a separate video but if you have like if you’re in a privileged position you already had like some M1 Pro or M1 Max Hardware